Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Nazis and a Redesign

When my friends and I chose the name 'hard luck' for our moto club we did some searching around the net looking to see if the name had been used. It had but it was just a band so we figured we were ok to use it. After nearly finishing the ambigram logo I happened on a Flickr photostream for another moto group that had used the name. Maybe we could still use it right? Well it turns out they have swastika's on their cuts, I'm not down with that. So we had to come up with a new name.

This time we arrived at 'The Luckless", obviously we want to make a point we work for and fight for what we have! This time I decided to try something else for inspiration and I also wanted to be a bit more light hearted with the concept. That is when Wile E. Coyote came to mind and how he always seems to get mashed in the head by a falling ACME anvil. So taking that inspiration I created the following logo:










This is just round one for the design but I liked the idea so much I busted out my Waccom board and did up a digital version. Looking over it now I'd like to simplify this and also clean up and scale down the volume of impact spikes and maybe shift the anvil to a steeper angle but I love the concept! It would also be cool to break the square in half's and have the kick up at each end to emphasize the 'crash' and make it more dynamic. I can just see this as a wide patch on my jacket/shirt across the top back of my shoulders!

In addition to the logo above I drew up a design that I liked but was less impactful and was a bit harder to understand. It is a conglomeration of good luck symbols, some common and others not so common. Here is a pic of my first version of this:
















This logo is made up of a scarab beetle, a sign of luck in ancient Egypt, and a horse shoe, which is obvious. The problem with this logo is that since we are luckless... why do we have symbols of luck? The obvious answer would be that we are trying to get as much luck as we can, but it is still kind of a stretch plus, its kind of boring! This logo idea does have other versions but I think they will stay 'in development' indefinitely!

With the demise of the 'Hard Luck' name I still intend to do up a digital version of the ambigram and keeping it for my own entertainment, and don't worry as I intend to do more ambigrams now that I under took and rocked my first one!

-Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment